Maine Handicapped Skiing
8 Sundance Lane
Newry, Maine 04261
Participation in all Maine Handicapped Skiing programs is subject to review and evaluation by the MHS staff. A Physician's Statement is required prior to participation. Lessons are scheduled by appointment based on availability of instructors and equipment.
For more information contact us at email@example.com or (800) 639-7770.
The following are requirements for participation in MHS programming:
* Physical disability
* Age six or older
* Seizure free for six months prior to participation
* Understand that s/he is participating in Maine Handicapped Skiing
* Able to actively participate in the chosen sport
* Provide lunch
* Provide necessary supervision and assistance when not involved in formal lessons (winter & summer)
* Less than 200 pounds if using sit-down ski equipment
Physical disabilities include, but are not limited to:
* Visual Impairments- from legally blind to totally blind
* Hearing Impairments- from two hearing aids to totally deaf.
* Neurological Impairments- Cerebral Palsy, Spina Bifida, Muscular Dystrophy, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's, Post Polio, Transverse Myelitis, Stroke, Traumatic or Aquired Brain Injury, Spinal Cord Injury
* Other disabilities- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and Arthrogryposis.
Participation in MHS for individuals without physical disabilities
If a person has a disability that does not meet the above requirements for a physical disability, MHS will teach up to 3 lessons, with a family member participating in the final lesson. This can occur if the participant:
*Has tried other ski schools without success
* Is from a skiing/riding family
* Is at least 6 years of age
* Has been seizure free for six months
* Knows he/she is skiing or riding and what that means
* Has a family member scheduled for training at MHS
* Has had an initial assessment
Guidelines for group participation
*A group may consist of up to six participants
*A group may consist of up to three sit-down particpants
*Criteria for group participants is the same as that for individual participants
*Participants who wish to pursue involvement beyond group instruction are able to schedule further lessons on an individual basis
*Groups must provide at least one person to be available at all times when participants are not involved in formal lessons (winter & summer) for supervision and to handle questions or other concerns
Transportation Opportunities to Sunday River and Sugarloaf
MHS may be able to arrange transportation. Some carpool opportunities are available. Participants needing transportation to either Sunday River or Sugarloaf please call 207-824-2440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for complete details.